Many news agencies are reporting that an Idaho man was seriously injured when an e-cigarette exploded in his mouth. The explosion caused severe burns to his skin and knocked out seven of his teeth. The 30-year-old male from Pocatello, said he was vaping before going to work this week when the device suddenly blew up.
The father of three was rushed to intensive care at his local hospital, where doctors had to remove chunks of plastic from his throat and lips, according to the Yahoo’s news agency. The man had second degree burns on his cheek. He posted graphic pictures of his injuries to his Facebook page along with a warning: “I Vape (I know, terrible and uncool) but I no longer do and I hope to possible sway those that do to maybe reevaluate or find other methods of smoking. I’ve been doing this for about a year now and assure you I did not do anything I wasn’t supposed to (battery was in right, always had the shop put it together when I first bought it and add things and maintenance it the right way while taking their advice) but it exploded in my face,” the 30-year-old car salesman wrote.
One of the photos he posted is of the vape pen’s exploded battery. Though it’s not clear what model the Idaho man was smoking, batteries are thought to be the cause of the 25-plus e-cigarette explosions reported in the US since 2009. “The shape and construction of e-cigarettes can make them more likely than other products with lithium-ion batteries to behave like ‘flaming rockets’ when a battery fails,” according to the U.S. Fire Administration.
In December of 2016, E-Cig One posted an article researching the 214 e-cigarette explosions reported to the media. They noted the following: 57 e-cigarette explosions happened during use; 79 e-cigarette explosions happened during charging; 44 e-cigarette explosions happened during transport, storage or unknown circumstances; 34 e-cigarette explosions involved spare batteries for removable battery mods.
Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyers find it interesting to note that the nature of e-cigarette explosions has changed over the years. It used to be that e-cigarettes exploded when charging. Now, people are beginning to experience different types of e-cigarette explosions when sub-ohm vaping and mods with removable batteries became more popular. More than ever, e-cigarettes explode during use. Explosions resulting from people carrying spare batteries in their pockets are also far more common. Regardless of the circumstances, e-cigarette explosions are far more likely to cause injuries today than they were in the past. In addition, of the e-cigarette explosions E-Cig One found: 137 resulted in personal injury or death; 77 resulted in no reported injuries to people, although these incidents may have resulted in animal death and/or extensive property damage.
Though, thousands, in fact, millions, of vapers continue to use e-cigarettes safely, it may be a good idea to adopt a few safety practices to avoid the highly unlikely event of an e-cigarette explosion. Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyers encourages newcomers to the vaping world to educate themselves on the best ways to avoid any sort of mechanical malfunction, especially those that could result in an explosion. Info-electronic-cigarette.com gives us some great tips to avoid E-Cigarette explosions.
If you want a safe device, the first step is to buy a product that is made in America. The devices and e-liquids made in the United States have to adhere to certain production standards to ensure their safety. With nearly 90% of e-cigarette products coming from China where manufacturing standards are nearly non-existent, it is hard to verify the safety of these imported devices. While there are many reputable overseas operations, buying American ensures you have a product that has been manufactured at the highest possible standard giving you higher quality, safer devices.
Most of the e-cigarettes that were involved in these explosions are from little-known brands, mainly manufactured in China. There are also many knock-offs on the market that, like some lesser-known brands, are manufactured with little checks and balances in place in these substandard manufacturing conditions.
Going for a trusted brand is worth the extra cost; an e-cigarette device is truly an investment. Research your brand and read reviews to make the best decisions on a reputable brand. Remember, is the number one most important thing you can do to prevent any sort of e-cigarette fire or malfunction.
This seems simple, but in the excitement to get going you would be surprised how many people just toss away the instructions that come with their device. A few minutes of reading can help you prevent potentially dangerous situations, as well as help you maintain your device for its best use and longevity.
First, some vaping newcomers are notorious for holding their buttons down too long. You really shouldn’t need to hold the button down for any longer than just a few seconds. In fact with average use you should never have to hold the button down longer than 5 seconds. Chain vaping can also lead to your atomizer overheating.
It is easy to tell when the atomizer is in danger of overheating. While it’s not unusual for your advice to become somewhat warm, especially if you are practicing heavy use, but you will notice a much higher temperature as it reaches the danger of overheating.
When this happens you can of course, change the cartomizer and give the one you are using a break. You can also just set the devices down for a while and let it cool off. Make sure you keep the device away from flammable objects that could catch on fire if exposed to an overheated atomizer.
The e-cigarette is an electronic device, not a cigarette, and as such it can easily be damaged with water– causing a malfunction, or even the sparks that could ignite a fire. Keep your device clear of wet and watery situations if you want it to remain safe and have a long life.
You should also think about cleaning your device between charging sessions. A simple swipe with a Q-Tip to wipe any condensation from the battery and the atomizer before you charge it could keep the device from malfunctioning and extend the life of the battery and the atomizer.
Only the charger that came with your e-cigarette is 100% compatible and should be the ONLY one you use. The majority of exploding e-cigarette cases come from using the wrong charger with the wrong voltage for your e cigarette. Don’t play guessing games with this one, to be safe just stick with the original charger.
The battery can get warmer as it charges and if there is a malfunction that leads to an explosion keeping your device away from paper clutter and flammable areas is a key safety precaution to prevent the spread of a fire in the event of its occurrence.
So many people leave things charging overnight, or for a longer period of time than necessary. Ensuring that you do not overcharge your device could be key in preventing possible explosions. You should not leave your device unattended while charging for too long, but instead be able to remove the device when it receives a full charge. Overcharging can leave to overheating and be the cause of a potential device malfunction.
The truth is, e-cigarette fires are rare, but so are regular fires and we still have fire drills, so there’s nothing wrong with being prepared. While the media does make far too big a deal out of the occurrences of e-cig explosions, the practices that will help keep you safe will also often help increase the longevity of your device in general. Most people begin vaping to have a safer lifestyle, so taking a few extra precautions to ensure that safety is something all vapers can easily do.
Source: http://nypost.com/2017/01/17/an-e-cigarette-exploded-inside-this-mans-mouth/ & http://info-electronic-cigarette.com/8-tips-to-avoid-e-cigarette-explosions/ & http://ecigone.com/featured/e-cigarette-explosions-comprehensive-list/