A woman who failed to use a crosswalk was struck by a car and seriously injured on westbound State Road 134 and 103rd Street. According to the Florida Highway Patrol,the pedestrian was hit by a Crown Victoria . The pedestrian was transported to UF Health in Jacksonville in serious condition.
Here at Edwards & Ragatz, P.A., we want everyone to be safe – especially pedestrians walking the streets of Jacksonville. In very simple terms, it isn’t a fair fight. Cars weigh approximately 4,000 pounds, the average American man around 195 pounds and average American woman around 165. Cars top out at over 100 miles per hour, the very fastest human has been clocked at around 27 miles per hour. In a collision between a person and a car, speaking bluntly, the car is likely to “win.” For this reason, and many others, we have a set of rules designed to keep pedestrians safe. They are as follows:
1. Always walk on the sidewalks. If there is no sidewalk available, walk on the left-hand side of the street against traffic so the cars will be able to see you.
2. Be careful of driveways. A vehicle turning in or out may not see you while crossing the sidewalk.
3. Make sure to cross at crosswalks, signals or corners.
4. Stop at a safe distance from the curb, then look and listen for traffic.
5. When a parked car blocks your view, step to the front of the car and look both ways before crossing.
6. Whenever possible, press the walk button if you have a signal available. This will give you more time to cross the street. Otherwise, wait for a break in traffic before starting to cross.
7. Make eye contact with any drivers before you decide to cross, so you know that they have seen you.
8. Never assume that the driver will stop behind the crosswalk. The driver may not even see you because their view could be obstructed by other vehicles.
9. When you walk at night, make sure to wear reflective, bright or light colored clothing to ensure that you can be seen.
Drivers should also be aware that:
If you have been injured in a collision with a vehicle, it’s important to contact Edwards & Ragatz for immediate legal counsel. Please call us toll free at (888) 366-1609 for a free initial consultation.