Tom Edwards is the Senior Partner of Edwards & Ragatz. He became a Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney in 1991, and is an AV rated lawyer by the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell, their highest rating based on peer evaluations. Tom has successfully tried many cases to verdict in all different types of litigation, not only in Florida, but in other states. He continues to be involved in most jury selections and trials today both for Edwards & Ragatz, and as co-counsel for other firms. Tom's reputation for always being thorough and prepared for trial has led to thousands of successful settlements.
In 2012, Tom and his partner, Eric Ragatz, won one of the largest PI verdicts in the history of the State of Florida. They won a trial against Memorial Hospital/HCA with a verdict of approximately $178,000,000.00 resulting in approximately $228,000,000.00 in Judgments. In recent years, Tom also won over $8,000,000.00 against First Union (now Wells Fargo) for fraudulent trust practices, over $5,000,000.00 against a trucking company for injuries caused after a diabetic driver crashed the truck, and numerous other substantial verdicts in the nursing home field. In addition, Tom handles select appeals. Recently, he won the case of Franks v. North Florida Surgeons in the Florida Supreme Court resulting in limitations on healthcare providers' use of arbitration agreements. The case went to the U.S. Supreme Court and certiorari was denied.
- Auto Negligence
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- Personal Injury
- Premesis Liability
- Trucking Accidents
- Wrongful Death
Born in Jacksonville, Florida, in 1959, Tom attended the University of the South and graduated from the Stetson University College of Law in 1983. Upon graduation, he returned to his hometown of Jacksonville to start his practice of law.
- Florida Bar
- United States District Courts, Florida (Middle, Northern & Southern Districts)
- United States Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Pro Hac Admissions to multiple state courts
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- The Florida Justice Association
- The American Association for Justice
Tom enjoys hunting and fishing. He and his wife Julie also love traveling.
Thomas S. Edwards, Jr. is a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, the highest specialty recognition given by The Florida Bar for attorneys who handle litigation of civil litigation. As Jacksonville Attorney his honors include:
- AV by Martindale Hubbell 1995-2018
- Best Lawyers in America 2012-2018
- Jacksonville Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year 2012 & 2015
- National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial Lawyer 2013
- Top 100 Verdicts - 2012 & 2017
- America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators
- Jacksonville Bar Association – Justice Raymond Ehrlich Trial Advocacy Award 2013
- American Board of Trial Advocates – Trial Lawyer of the Year, Jacksonville Chapter 2009
- North Florida Trial Lawyers – Spartans at Thermopylae Award 2009
- Florida’s Super Lawyers 2007-2018
- Florida Justice Association
Gold Eagle Award 2007-2008
Bronze Eagle 2001, 2002, 2006
Lawyer to Legacy Award 2009
Eagle Legend Award 2009
Horseman Award 2014
B.J. Masterson Award for Professionalism 2014
Legislative Leadership Award 2002-2003
Saving the Civil Justice System Award 2005
Tiger in the Bush Award 2005 Silver Eagle Award
- Florida Trend Magazine's Legal Elite 2006
- FL Lawyer's Action Group Leadership Award 2006
- Florida Bar Award, Barbara Sanders Top Legal Writing 1993
Tom has always had a passion for giving back to the local and legal community. He is a Past President of several legal associations including Florida Justice Association, Jacksonville Chapter of American Board of Trial Advocates, Jacksonville Bar Association and the Jacksonville Trial Lawyers Association. He is a Master of the Bench Inns of Court which is the highest standing available. He has also had numerous appointments by the Florida Supreme Court including serving on the committee that creates the instructions given to Jurors during trial. He also served on the Supreme Court's Committee on the Conduct of Judges, the Florida Supreme Court's Florida Jury Instructions Committee (Civil Committee and founding member of Business Committee) and as a past Chair of the Circuit Grievance Committee.
Tom currently serves as a member of the Executive Council for The Florida Bar Trial Lawyers Section, Jacksonville Area Legal Aid Board of Directors and the ABOTA National Board. In 2012 he was appointed by the Chief Justice of The Florida Supreme Court to the Judicial Management Council of Florida - a committee that assists and advises the Court in ensuring that our system of justice is efficient and effective throughout the state. The council also assists during times of crisis.
$228 Million Medical Malpractice Judgement
Thomas S. Edwards. Jr.
PEER REVIEW RATED
LAWYER OF THE YEAR
BEST LAW FIRMS
FLORIDA LEGAL ELITE